dispatches from the pop scene...minus the corn syrup.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Spice Girls Say They'll Be There?

RobPop from Don't Stop The Pop was crowing yesterday about the Spice Girls reunion that's been gaining news coverage momentum. My heart leapt, and suddenly I was that 24-year old standing in a sea of tween girls at their concert in Pittsburgh again, back in summer 1998. But frankly, I'll believe it's true when I see all five broads shaking their spice racks on stage. Rumors about them getting back together have cropped up from time to time, most famously around the period of the Live 8 shows two years ago. But it's now a post-Take That pop world, and word has it that the Spices will be joining a reformed Boyzone on a national tour after doing a chartiy gig in London this August.

Speaking of reunited '90s acts, All Saints' next single "Chick Fit" is officially released in two weeks. Here's the video:


The Wikipedia entry for All Saints states rumors are going around that the group, who had four U.K. #1s and a Top 10 U.S. hit in their heyday, have been dropped by their label, Parlophone. Despite their comeback single "Rock Steady" spending a month in the British Top 10 last fall and peaking at #3, their new album Studio 1 could be retitled Sales: 1.

Rounding out the U.K. girl group news, the Sugababes vs. Girls Aloud charity single "Walk This Way" is out March 12.

Sadly, upon listening, it sounds like eight alley cats in heat trying to claw their way through the chorus. Chart Rigger gives it a big hiss!



Vote for the most annoying pop song of the new millenium in the sidebar.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    am i the only one unexcited by the spice girls reforming? If it ever happens? Their third album was not great and I have severe doubts they will be able to recapture the magic with so many competing musical styles from the girls wanting to take centre stage - r'n'mel b, rocky mel c, sixties baby, pop ginger, awful posh, etc.

    But what do i know - i kinda like Walk This Way

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger mobius said…

    You're not the only one.

    Unless there's a PWL/SAW connection, they can go back to raising their kids.

    The thought of hearing Mel C's screechy voice again makes me shiver. Ewww...

    That All Saints track is pretty bad. Are they sleeping with some record company executive or why do they have a contract in the first place?

    Comic Relief track leaves me cold, but is not as bad as I thought.

    Rant over.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Anonymous brian said…

    I actually like "chick fit" now but personally- the saints only did two album. Its not like they were some iconic, classic act.

    Love the Sugababes-hate Girls aloud so the new single ends up being slightly better than listening to white trash on Jerry Spring squeal to a dance beat. It will surely kill both acts.

    I'll believe the spices are reformed when I see it. Paul- so hard on Victoria! I actually like her solo album over all the others solo spice efforts. Geri wins for worst- Scream indeed!

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger xolondon said…

    I actually think the All Saints album is quite decent, but I did not put Chick Fit on my iPod. There are plenty of other better singles.

    The Babes/Ga thing is trash. Horrible caca. Decent video though.

    My roommate and i had a fight years ago and she then went out and bought me the Spice Girls live documentary thing as a gift! Awwww. I am still impressed by that to this day.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger J'ason D'luv said…

    Paul, I'm not excited about them reforming, I'm just extremely doubtful about it happening. However, I must say this: I never bought their third album, and then this past fall, I saw it on iTunes one day and was like, "Oh, what the hell..." So I downloaded it, and now that the Spice dust has settled and it's a new decade, it's not that bad, in retrospect. I'm sure at the time it was disappointing by comparison with their first two albums, but "Holler" and especially "Tell Me Why" are superb pop songs, I think.

    Mobius, All Saints, I'm sure, were picked up due to Take That fever sweeping the labels in the U.K. That said, who can possibly be excited by the Boyzone reunion. UGH x 10.

    Like Brian and XO, I like Studio 1 and "Chick Fit" for the most part, though I haven't listened to it in months.

    XO, my friend Lady Stardust (who hasn't commented in awhile -- bitch!) and I went to see the Spice Girls movie one rainy January or February day in the theater. We were the only adults there without children. I'm sure if we had done drugs or been drunk, the film might have been a more pleasurable experience.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Slippydisco said…

    It's Steps and S Club that will be sharing a stage this year (allegedly). Boyzone are touring on their own.

    GA v Sugababes is a bit off a dud and a wasted opportunity. It's only the video that redeems their efforts.

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Slippydisco said…

    Ooops, I have just become aware of Louis' comments on telly about them sharing a stage for the Red charity. Soz. I do think it's wishful thinking on Mr Walsh's part though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home